From Idea to App in Year 8 Coding
In Semester 1, Year 8 Coding students developed the foundation for mobile app development for iOS, Android and Web apps. Students created a portfolio of apps including a language translator app, image recognition app, choose your own adventure app and a to-do list app.
All students then completed an “Idea to App” project to identify and research an app idea, generate designs and mock-ups and then code their own app concept to a working prototype stage.
A range of different projects were completed including:
• Eli Boymal’s “Product Finder” app, used to barcode scan products and search for the cheapest product prices
• Jamie Gostin’s “THiSCORD” app – a cross-platform bluetooth messenger app
• Dylan Padowitz developed “Trivio”, a location based quiz using photos
• Tom Sandler developed “Game Fitter”, a database app to help you find new games based on favourite genres
• Adam Nahamkes created “RandoPass”, an app which creates randomised passwords.
• Eden Blumberg created “Sketch” – a fun drawing and colouring app targeted for 3-7 year old students
At the conclusion of the semeste,r students participated in the “Student Choice Awards” with 77% of student voting selecting Eden’s “Sketch” app as the Best App Overall. Congratulations to all students who developed and showcased their innovative ideas through the development of their apps.